Wednesday, December 8, 2021

BCBR

             Ever since my first year of university, I knew I wanted to be a bike racer. Additionally, there were a few bucket list events that planted the seed of desire deep within my brain, and these seeds have germinated exponentially as I’ve become more involved in the racing scene. On the top of the list is BC Bike Race; (typically) a seven-day stage race around the mountain bike mecca that is Southwestern British Columbia. I remember sitting on a couch in southern California watching a YouTube film titled ‘Seven: theBC Bike Race Movie’. It chronicled the experience of BCBR throughout the seven days of racing, incredible ferry transfers, and tightknit community formed by racers pushing themselves through a week of all-out exertion. From that moment on… I was hooked. Somewhere deep in my mind I set a goal for myself to line up under the iconic start/finish arch, and pit my skills against the best of the best, as well as the unforgiving BC terrain. This year, I finally accomplished that goal, and after two years of nearly single-minded focus, all I can say is… wow.

               Lets back it up a few months, all the way to December of 2019. Everyone was beginning their training for the 2020 season, and most professionals had a generally solid idea of what their race schedule would look like. I, on the other hand, was characteristically behind the ball on planning. I knew there were a few major events that I wanted to go to, but overall, it was shaping up to be another fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants season for me. Then I got a calendar. By some random chance I got onto a mailing list that crossed the BCBR organizers’ desks, and they were promoting the 2020 edition of the event with a calendar. That dormant fire of desire lit on that California couch was rekindled, and since I was now living in Bellingham, Canada was only a stone’s throw away… I had no excuse not to go. From then on I had a nearly singular focus for the season: perform at BC Bike Race. 

Credit @chrisstenberg
               So that was December 2019, and we all know what happened when the calendar changed to early 2020… the world stopped, went sideways, and everything was flipped entirely on its head. Needless to say, there was no racing, therefore no BCBR 2020. Looking back, the extended time at home allowed for an intense season specifically focused on training… which actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. (See an earlier post about my thoughts on this topic.) 2020 came and went, and I spend a full season preparing for the technical racing required for the seven day stage race, and was eagerly looking forward to 2021 season; the proverbial ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ for racers. In Spring of 2021, the organizers announced the race was a go… with a major caveat. Instead of being seven days of west coast BC racing, it would be six days of early October spent exploring the region around Penticton, in central BC. If I was disappointed not to be on the coast, I don’t think it registered due to the excitement and anticipation of actually getting to line up. Plus… Penticton boasts some world-class riding, and heaps of it. Plan modified, full steam ahead.



 The summer rolled by as planned (relatively… again see previous posts for other random misadventures), and as October came closer and closer, the reality began to set in: I was actually going to line up at BC Bike Race. Then the nerves hit. I get nervous before literally every race, but this time things were different. Questions about preparedness, skill, competition, mechanicals, equipment, more preparedness, and a plethora of other worries all fought for prime position in my mind. “What if?” seemed to be the start of every thought. Nerves pair well with excitement though, and through the worry I was so eager to get to Penticton and throw my name in the hat. Hours were spent studying course maps, drawing out elevation profiles, honing technical skills, and doing everything in my power to maximize my chances of success… or rather minimize my chances of the unexpected. Finally it was go time; on Friday morning I loaded up the van and hit the road for the promised land.

 

               Day one started with a neutral rollout out of Penticton to the Three Blind Mice trail system, the area closest to downtown proper and where we would eventually spend the majority of our time. Racers were self-staged in waves of 25, with a rolling start mat at the start of the singletrack. As I wasn’t one of the callups, I was placed in the second wave, staged to start 1 minute after the leaders… slightly worrisome as it was vital to be in the lead group starting things off. Luckily it proved to be no problem latching onto the first wave after the gun went off. As we rolled closer to the timing mat, the general chit-chat ceased and things began to heat up. Everyone began jostling for position, and once the clock started it was game on. Since the courses weren’t overly lengthy, it was possible to go full gas from the gun… which is exactly what happened. Cory Wallace launched an attack straight from the beginning, and the field immediately shattered. All the big guns went off the front and my group began to splinter, leaving me playing catchup from the first minute; get into TT mode, set it at a relatively-sustainable pace, and go to work.


Credit: @emmamaaranen


               Slowly but surely I began making up spots. I passed a few riders who initially went out too hard and found myself sitting in 7th overall behind the lead group. Nearing the top I went by Geoff Kabush who was fixing a sidewall puncture on the side of the track, and moved into 6th as I crested the summit. The descents around Penticton require full-on concentration over the rocky terrain, and those who lost focus were penalized by the inevitable puncture or crash. After one of the technical sections I saw Cory Wallace fixing a flat on the side, and slid my way into 5th. Keeping things under control and holding back just a bit allowed for a safe descent and I crossed the line riding an absolute high from the incredible trails as well as the completely unexpected result. Sitting 5th overall at the end of the day was just the confidence boost I needed on day one.

               Rolling back to the car with the big guns was a surreal experience. Obviously no one knew who I was, and explaining to the group of world cup and fully-sponsored pros that I was only a privateer living out of my van for the week felt good. After getting back to the expo area, it was time to start the post-race routing of shoving food in my face, heading to the gym for some foam rolling, stretching, and a much needed shower. Then back to camp for (more) food, a chance to put the legs up, and think about what was for dinner. It was becoming clear that mtb stage races were essentially “eating competitions with some bike racing thrown in.” (Thanks to Emma for the term… couldn’t be more true.)

               Day two found us on the other side of the lake into a town called Summerland. There were two stages on tap for the day, with a small neutral transfer in between. The rolling terrain promised some fast racing, and a long stretch of smooth doubletrack to start was going to make positioning important right from the gun. With no initial neutral segment and a mass start, things were decently sketchy from minute one. Soon the group solidified near the front and I was able to blindly follow the wheel in front of me safely into the singletrack… which is precisely when the dust became a problem. With flashbacks to High Cascades earlier this season, we dove recklessly into the dust cloud, blindly trusting the rider in front of us not to go off course. Eventually things calmed down and we settled into the first major climb of the day. I found a speed that suited me, and fell into a rhythm with a few other riders. Cresting the top we found ourselves thrown into an open landscape of what I call “choose your own adventure” riding; more or less no trail to follow but rather exposed rocks funneling into sparse forest on the other side. Seeing stars I somehow made it through unscathed, and floundered my way through the recently-cut trail to the first finish line on the day. Connecting with two other riders we rolled towards the second start... done and dusted though, onto the next.

               Stage three (still day two) proved to be more of an individual time trail rather than a normal mtb race. We chose when to cross the starting mat, and were immediately greeted with an extended climb which seemed to go on forever. Nothing technical, just sheer power… which has never been my strong suit. Cresting the top riders were rewarded with a fast descent straight into the finish gate, with average speeds of 20+ mph. So it turned out day two was a bit of damage control on my part, but coming out of it still in 5th place overall I was pretty satisfied. The next day appeared to be more my style, with high elevations and the promise of technical riding.

               Sunrise on day three found us reaching for warmer clothes, and we were only going up in elevation. A beautiful drive up to Apex ski resort left me constantly admiring the fall views, as well as watching the temperature drop with every meter we climbed. Once in the carpark, my car read a balmy 36 degrees outside… luckily the predicted rain was holding off. I’m good with cold, and I’m fine with wet; but combine the two and I’m less that happy. The riding at Apex would prove to be my favorite throughout the week. It was a unique combination of high-alpine forest and loamy dirt… basically a combination of Montana and Bellingham: perfect for my skillset. Well, perfect for my skillset if I wasn’t racing a bunch of riders bred in Whistler, Squamish, and some of the most technical terrain in the entire world. Needless to say, the competition was strong, both physically and technically.

               I had made it a goal to be more tactically aggressive going into day three; my goal was to stay with the lead group for as long as I could, even if it meant burning an extra match or two. The overall GC results were holding relatively stable, with me sitting in sixth place a few minutes behind a rider in fifth: Matthew Fox. We had become friends throughout the week and it was looking more and more as though we were each other’s primary competition. Matthew had gone hard earlier in the week and made up some time when I was holding back some of my matches. We were also battling with Cory Wallace and Karsten Madsen, all of us leapfrogging spots day to day as well as in the overall. Up until this point, I was basically playing a defensive game, holding back some of my cards to (hopefully) be fresher later in the week. The strategy was overall working out well, but the race days were so short that getting fully-ish recovered every afternoon was possible. This amount of recovery allowed for some riskier tactics, primarily digging slightly deeper on a day-to-day basis to hold a wheel. So day three I decided to change my initial plan and see what the legs were capable of. On the start tarmac climb I "easily" stayed with the lead group as riders began to jettison off the back. When we hit the singletrack there were only seven of us left at the front, and I was trying to hold Matthew’s wheel like glue. With every surge I was able to put out the power, and while it was a bit scary to burn that many matches so early, it was a huge confidence boost to actually be on the sharp end of the race. These were some of the best riders in the world, and I was holding my own. Eventually our group began to shatter a bit, two people went off the front, two off the back, and my group dwindled to three. I felt at home on the rolling terrain, and was riding smoothly even at the high pace. I could tell Matthew was struggling a bit on the technical terrain, not because he was incapable but rather he seemed to be pushing hard enough to make mistakes: an overcooked corner here, a clipped tree there… all chinks in the armor. We all hit the final descent together and coming to the bottom I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. Not only was it incredibly fun (imagine high speed, technical terrain interspersed with bike park features) but because I was in the mix. I crossed the line with Cory, and about thirty seconds behind Matthew.


Credit: @davesilverphoto


               The stage at Apex was a turning point; from then on I was no longer riding defensively… it was time to go on the offensive. Day four brought us back to the Three Blind Mice system, with a simple stage profile: straight up, then straight down. It would be a case of burying yourself on the climb then holding on for the descent, doing everything possible to avoid a puncture or crash on the sharp rocks. This time I went harder from the start, and to my surprise I instantly put Cory, Karsten, and Matthew on the defensive. Burning the surge of adrenaline, I turned the notch up slightly and soon found myself on my own. As I crested the top and turned downhill, it soon became clear I was about to put all the ‘fatigued training’ into practice; I was running on fumes after the climb. All those times riding cross-eyed down trails after a leg + lung burning interval was hopefully going to pay off. The first part of the descent was great, but after a few time-consuming mistakes near the bottom I could hear a rider getting closer and closer behind me; a quick glance back confirmed a hard-charging Matthew was closing in. Coming across the line I was seeing stars but still a few seconds ahead of him, but effectively we finished with the same time. The last two stages were shaping up to be quite the showdown.

               Day five found us on smooth, fast trails with extensive climbing and fast, brake-free descents. As per usual, our group of seven rolled away from the rest of the riders, establishing a solid selection. Also as usual, a few rider went off the front with their bid for a stage win… the time gaps had elapsed enough that an overall podium was out of reach, but places five through eight were still being hotly contested. I was currently sitting sixth, only a few seconds ahead of Cory in seventh and three minutes behind Matthew in fifth. I made sure I was ahead of them both before we peeled off the tarmac and onto the dirt, and immediately started twisting the dial up. Soon they were nowhere to be seen and I settled into a steady pace and steeled myself for another time trail on my own. Unlike the previous day, I paced this stage far better… I kept a steady and solid power throughout the entire course, and crossing the line I was tired but not exhausted- easy to recover from but there wasn’t much more left to give. The time clock showed that my more aggressive tactic was beginning to pay off: I had distanced myself from Cory, and gained back almost two minutes on Matthew. This meant that I was one minute behind him going into the last day; now I had smelled blood, and wanted that fifth place badly.

               Waking up on day six, I felt a strange combination of excitement, exhaustion, and anticipation. I knew it was going to be all or nothing out there. Matthew had proved that he was exceptionally strong basically everywhere, and I needed to pace the climb better in order to minimize mistakes on the descent. One minute, and even though it’s only one place on the GC, there’s a big difference between sixth and fifth… it was go time.

               As we lined up for the last time, there was a slightly different feeling the air: the crisp fall morning brought the knowledge that we all had to leave everything out there… this was the last opportunity to make our mark. We were all tired, and everyone knew today was going to hurt. Nervous laughs sounded as riders tried to pass the time before the gun went off. I talked with Matthew, wishing him good luck however the cards fell. I was truly grateful for the opportunity to push myself; if I was in no-mans land on the GC I could easily have just ridden the stage safely and gone back to damage control racing. He was giving me the chance to dig deeper than I could've possibly ever gone on my own. The start gun sounded and we clipped in and rolled off, time to go all in.  

               Similar to some of the previous days, stage seven began with a neutral rollout. Unlike the previous days, however, you could cut the anticipation with a knife. Riders knew this was their last chance, their final opportunity to make up time for the week. As we neared the start mat marking the course for the day, everyone began vying for position near the front; it was straight into the singletrack and being stuck behind someone this early in the day was a death sentence. I worked into my usual spot around fifth, and could feel Matthew was in my shadow. We hit the dirt and everyone lit their final fireworks; it felt like a finish line sprint up the first climb as riders gave it everything left in the tank to get ahead of other. Everyone had their own race within the race, some were going for the overall win, some to get on the podium, some (such as myself) were fighting for close positions, some were just looking to finish… that’s a beautiful thing about races in general: sure there’s an overall winner, but when you have hundreds of people competing there’s the possibility that everyone can be their own unique winner. Today, I needed to win fifth place… that was my goal, and I was doing everything in my power to make sure it happened. Changing up my tactics, I went on the offensive hoping to drop Matthew from my wheel. On previous stages I had been a slightly stronger climber, while he caught/dropped me on the descents. Playing to my strengths, I went full gas up the climbs and punched hard up the steeper sections to see if I could break the elastic between us. So far, it hadn’t worked. Matthew stayed attached to my wheel no matter what I threw at him. We caught and passed Karsten, Cory, and another rider on out hell-bent sprint to the top. By now I was getting worried… I knew that if we were together on the summit it would be incredibly hard to pull back the minute necessary for me to move up the GC ranking. So I stuck with it, attacking each hill as though it was my last match to burn, which was soon becoming a reality.


Credit: @chrisstenberg


               Then something happened. I got out of the saddle, sprinted a short climb, and heard just the faintest of hesitation from behind me. A quick glance backwards confirmed I had put a bike length between myself and Matthew. Instantly he was back in my draft but now it was different: I had seen the gap in his armor. Buoyed by the dopamine rush, I doubled down and put as much power into the pedals as I could muster, doing my best not to run myself off the trail as I peered ahead with crossed eyes. Sustaining the last-ditch effort for what felt like an hour (post-race analysis proved it was all of two minutes), I finally eased up and looked back: Matthew was nowhere to be seen. Stifling the excitement of finally snapping the rubber band between us I knew the job was far from finished. I put my head down, found a tempo that felt just sustainable, and powered forward. Burning match after match I neared the top of the day’s stage and never looked back. Reaching the descent brought a whole new set of challenges; now I had to ride the fastest descent of my life while completely drained, mentally exhausted, and on some of the hardest terrain possible… but there was only one way to the finish line and that coveted fifth place GC: down.

               I pushed both my body and bicycle harder than I have in a long time. Every muscle was screaming and time to time things went a touch blurry, but mentally it felt as though I was laser focused only on what was in front of me. People talk about flow state being this mystical phenomenon where everything clicks, where everything is perfectly in tune… and maybe that’s true, but if what I experienced that day in Penticton was flow… well it wasn’t a magic carpet ride down the mountain. More accurately it was full awareness of every sense; colors were more vibrant, light and shadows all had a purpose, I could sense my suspension moving, hear my tires straining for grip, and feel every muscle, tendon, and ligament in my body struggling as I asked more and more from myself and my machine. So yes, flow is a narrowing of the senses… overall it got me down that run very quickly and in one piece, but holy shit did everything hurt. Crossing the line at the bottom I collapsed on the ground into an unintelligible heap. Mentally and physically I had nothing left to give, now it was time to start counting and wait for Matthew to cross the line.

               Luckily there was a clock by the timing mat, so I was spared the need to count in my head while barely being able to focus on continuing to breath. Thirty seconds passed, nothing. Forty, no one across the line. I could barely hold in my excitement. Fifty, fifty-five, sixty… I had done it. I let out a breath as if I’d been holding it in for weeks. It felt as though my entire season of ups and down was finally coming to a solid conclusion: a result I had worked hard for, dedicated almost two years of my life for, and performed to the best of my ability for. Can I call it a wave a relief? Probably. But buried within was a feeling of drive, a rekindling of the love I have for this sport, for competition. I felt as if all the early mornings, all the rides in the rain, all the hours in the gym, every early bedtime, and every sacrifice I’d made towards this dream was worth it. It was the path I wanted to be on: pursuing athletic excellence in my chosen sport. I haven't reached all the goals I set for myself yet, but I had accomplished one, and it was a solid steppingstone. I’ve been told there’s a rule of thirds in training and competition: one third of the time you feel normal, one third you feel like garbage, and one third you feel amazing. I don’t often experience the last third, but sitting exhausted at the finish of stage seven I felt incredible.

               Actually I felt awful, and knew even riding back to the car was going to suck… but at the moment I didn’t care. I had done it, completed what I wanted to do… but there was also a feeling that I could do more, and this stoked the fire burning deep inside me even more than before. The dopamine buzz was palpable, and I could already feel the excitement and anticipation building for the next season. And that’s the beautiful thing about competition: there’s always another level to reach, always another goal to achieve, and always a new opportunity to put your hard-earned skills to the test.


___________________


As a side note, I want to thank the organizers of the event for doing such an amazing job leading up to, and throughout the week. Completely upending from the tried and true is difficult to say the least, and the team in charge handled all the obstacles thrown at them with ease. Thanks also to Emma for being a constant source of laughter and fun while in camp... it would've been a lonely week without you there. And finally, a huge thank you goes to Matthew Fox for the incredible competition. This event wouldn't have been the same without you, it was an absolute honor to race with you, and I can't wait to go that deep into the hurt locker again... cheers 🤙


No comments:

Post a Comment