Thursday, June 14, 2018

Lessons learned from the GJOF

After throwing everything in the car it was back in the car for a skip, hop, and a jump back to Bozeman. Post-race car rides are always a perfect time for more quality introspective thinking. So, here are a few lessons learned from the Grand Junction off road:
  1. Mechanicals happen, but they’re just another part of the sport. You can prepare for them before the event, curse them once they happen, and blame them for poor performances, but at the end of the day it comes with the territory of riding bikes over rocks and the true test is how you can move forward once they happen. Having both a brake and tire fail on me over the course of a couple days can be a bit demoralizing, but learning how to efficiently and effectively deal with mechanicals is always useful.
  2. Friends make everything better. I believe the correct term is that ‘suffering loves company.’ when you’re all alone in a new place thoroughly out of your league it’s incredibly nice to not be alone with your thoughts. (Or am I the only one who gets into my own head when given time alone?) Whether it’s traveling down with friends or making new ones, having that support is amazingly beneficial and undoubtedly improved my mental focus and ability.
  3. Jumping into the deep end has its benefits. Starting this season with an upgrade to the pro category and two races with incredibly hard fields was daunting, to say the least, but looking back on how they went I don’t think there could’ve been a better method. I’ve been pleased with my performances in each, and while I wish I could move higher in the standings and have less technical issues, I’m taking each as a learning experience and doing everything in my power to get better however I can: stronger, smarter, more efficient, and more confident in my abilities.
  4. The metal game is just as important as the physical aspect. Having a strong head screwed onto your shoulders before, during, and even after an event can make a world of difference. Keeping cool throughout, staying calm when things don’t go to plan, digging deep but knowing your limits, and quality/rational analysis after it’s all said and done are just a few examples of how a strong metal game can change the outcome of a race.
  5. Have fun! It was great to take time to slow down and enjoy the extra stuff Grand Junction had to offer. Whether it was exploring different trails, finding the best bakery, or enjoying a well-made cup of coffee, simply spending time enjoying life in a new place made the trip so much more enjoyable. Besides… a good croissant and cup of coffee make everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment